BEFORE READING: Preview
- Skimming: Read the first and last paragraphs and the first sentences of all other parageraphs
- Scanning: Look only for key information - names, dates, places, numerical data, charts...
Create a hypothesis by making a prediction:
- Assimilate: What fits in to what you already know?
- Accommodate: What is totally new to your background?
Set a Goal
- Personal and motivating
- Provides a purpose for reading that can be combined with teacher's purpose.
DURING READING: Monitor
Reflective / Recursive Reading:
Monitor your awareness of what was just read:
- Recollection / review
- Evaluation of Data and Comprehension Competency
- Written response and record
Regulate your comprehension: coping, enhancing, correcting, continuing
AFTER READING: Review
Reconcile any study guide sheets: DR-TA, KWL, SQ3R. Vocabulary...
- Your Highlighting and / or Underlining
- Your written commentary
- Any study guide sheets: DR-TA, KWL, SQ3R, Study Questions, Vocabulary
Complete all other after reading tasks or tests
Return to Mr. Byrne's Homepage
| last update: 9/1/05| send us email | © joebyrne.net